Archive for November, 2007
Address: 16 rue de Repos Arrondissement: 20th Hours: March through November 8:00am – 6:00pm; November through March 8:00am -5:30pm Tickets: Free
About the Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise
Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise is one of the most legendary cemeteries in the world. It is an extremely popular tourist attraction and draws in one some of the largest crowds of any cemetery.
In France a temporary ban was placed on cemeteries, deeming them a health hazard. Once Napoleon Bonaparte lifted the ban in 1804, construction on the 109 acres began. Named after Pere Francois de La Chaise, Louis More >
Address: Quai Francois-Mauriac 75706 Paris Arrondissement: 13th Hours: 9:00am – 8:00pm although some certain rooms hours may vary. Tickets: Exhibition 7EUR; exhibition reduced rate 5EUR; lecture guided tour 4.5EUR
WWW: Bibliotheque Nationale de France Phone: 33(0)1 53 79 59 59
About the Bibliotheque Nationale de France
The new Bibliothequq Nationale de France, translated to the National Library of France, was built in 1996. It is also known as Francois Mitterrand Library. It replaced the old library that was dubbed insufficient for all of France’s literary treasures.
The idea of a new building was proposed by France’s 1980’s President Francois Mitterrand who More >
Address: Place de l”hotel de Ville, Rue de Rivoli Arrondissement: 4th Hours: 10:00am – 10:00pm Tickets: Varied
Phone: 01 42 76 50 49
About the Hotel de Ville
In the year 1246, Paris’ first borough was created. The trade guilds elected Alderman as their council. However, until 1357 there was no set municipal building to take care of business in. One of the Alderman bought house on the busy place de Greve, also known as Shore Harbor. The exquisite two story home featured two towers and arcades. It came to be known as the House of Pillars and served More >
Address: Rue de Navarre, Rue des Arenes Arrondissement: 5th
Hours: Winter 8:00am – 5:30pm; Summer 8:00am – 10:00pm Tickets: Free
WWW: Arena de Lutece
Long ago, around the time of first century A.D. Paris was known as Lutetia. It stretched from the Ile de la Cite all the way down to the Left Bank. Prosperous Lutetia was a Galllo-Roman town during this period and the Arenes de Lutece is one of the few places in modern day Paris that this olden heritage can be found.
It is said that the Arenes de Lutece might have been one of the biggest arena of More >
Address: Place de l’Opera Arrondissement: 9th
Hours: Varies. Tickets: Varies.
The Opera des Paris was built by Charles Garnier for its patron, Emperor Napolean III. A small underground lake delayed construction which ran from 1862 – 1875 but it was wealth worth the effort. The beautiful buildings pond became the hiding place of the “Phantom of the Opera” in the infamous play. It still stands as one of the most magnificent symbols of the 19th century More >
Address: Ilele de la Cite Arrondissement: 1st
Hours: No set hours. Ticketing: Free.
About Pont Neuf
During the mid 1500’s, Paris’ two bridges over the Seine were a constant mob scene and in very poor condition. In 1578, King Henry III decided it was time to change all of that and construct a new bridge. The bridge was opened in 1607 by King Henry IV who oversaw most of the construction. He dubbed it “Pont Neuf.” Upon his death, an equestrian statue of King Henry IV was positioned in the middle of the bridge in his honor for all to see. The More >
Address: Place de la Concorde, 75008 Paris Arrondissement: 8th arrondissement Hours: Open year round. No set hours.
About the Place de la Concorde
This octagonal square is by far the largest in all of Paris. It holds a rich history dating back to the early 18th century. The Place de la Concorde was established when a large statue of King Louis XV was installed here in 1763 after he overcame a serious, almost deadly illness. A surrounding statue was added several years later, in 1772 to be exact, by architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel. The square was then called place More >
Arrondissement: 3rd arrondissement Hours: Open everyday, year round. No set hours.
Phone: 01 42 72 10 16
About the Place des Vosges
Place des Vosges is the oldest square in all of Paris and certainly one of the most beautiful. It dates back to 1388 when the prestigious “Hotel de Tournelles” occupied the site. It was the home of the Royal family until 1559 when King Henry II was several wounded in a tournament held in the square. He died of his inflictions several days later. His widow, Catherine de Medici, had the Hotel demolished and moved to the Louvre. More >
Address: 4 boulevard du Palais
Arrondissement: 1st arrondissement
Hours: March 1 – October 31 hours are 9:30am – 6:00pm. From November 1 – February 28 hours are 9:00am – 5:00pm.
Phone: 33 (01) 53 40 60 80
About the Saint Chapelle
The origins of Saint Chapelle date back to the days of Louis IX. The King had recently purchased relics from the Passion – the Crown of Thorns and a fragment of the True Cross – from Byzantine Emperor Baldwin II. He had paid a hefty 135,000 livres for these items and conceptualized the perfect place to house them. His chosen architect was Pierre More >